Mom and Mini-Me Style
Ready to venture back out of the yoga pants zone? Fashion stylist and new mom Maria Divaris shares this season’s must-wear looks … for you and your trendy tot.
As a stylist, I always stay on top of the latest trends and find ways to translate them from the runway to real life. And as a mom, I want to comfortably chase my toddler around the park while still looking pulled together and stylish. What amazes me the most is how trends that start out at the highest level in fashion, quickly trickle down in a wearable and accessible way … for us and our little ones. Here are some of my favorite trends and mini-me looks.
1. The puffer jacket. This is the ultimate in form and function, keeping us warm, cozy and comfortable. Fitted and flattering, it’s perfect for an outing with your little one – you can look chic while they look adorable!
Mini-Me: Zara Snow Jacket $39.99
2. The boho bag. The bohemian look is always popular, giving that “how does she do it?” mystique which always looks incredible yet effortless. You can accomplish this style easily with accessories like a fringed bag. And what little girl doesn’t want to be just like mom?
Mini-Me: Zara Fringed Leather Bag $19.99
3. The sweatpants. These sweatpants are not for working out. Yes, they are incredibly comfortable, but they are also surprisingly versatile. I almost feel guilty wearing them because they are SO cute and stylish, yet allow me the flexibility to chase my son around. Slouchy, fitted and effortlessly sexy for us … and an easy go-to that looks adorable on our kids.
Mini-Me: H&M Sweatpants $14.95
4. The star print. It has always been a popular print, but in recent years high end designers such as Miu Miu and Saint Laurent, have been featuring stars in their runway shows and now it can be found in just about every store you walk into for women and children. It’s the perfect mix of youth and sophistication, so its only natural that it would be as wearable for us as it is for our little ones.
Mini-Me: Mini Rodini Star Dress $53.20
5. The motorcycle boot. A classic, but not strictly utilitarian. Everyone from Jimmy Choo to Gucci to H&M has done a motorcycle boot. It truly is the ultimate shoe that allows me to look fashionably pulled together for work, yet they’re flat and comfortable enough to allow me to keep up with my little guy. I have found motorcycle boot options, not only for women, but also tons of options for kids – everything from a biker baby bootie to insanely cool versions for little boys and girls. This is a footwear trend that is, thankfully, here to stay!
Mini-Me: Oshkosh Moto Boots: $23.99
6. Lace for day. The lingerie inspired look often pops up in high fashion, but it’s interesting to see how it has filtered down into women’s daywear and even children’s clothing. It’s not overtly sexy, nor does it leave you exposed. The lace is more of a detail or overlay that adds a bit of something extra to the look. Appropriate for a trip to the park, a meeting in the office or a dinner out. And the lacey look can be dressed up or down for our little ladies.